Saturday, August 24, 2013

Hey Brother Can You Spare Me A Billion Dollars?

When I was 10 years old, (four years prior to the abandonment of the Bretton Woods system) I took the money I got from caddying, mowing lawns and shoveling snow and spent it with reckless abandon.

I'd take my bicycle starting from our summer home in Kennebunk Beach and ride to a general store about a mile away.

There were only two things that mattered to me in that general store, penny candy, and comic books.  I needed my fix and boy did I get it.  I'd usually spend a dollar and get three comic books for a dime a piece and seventy pieces of candy.  That same candy is now 15 cents per piece.  Insanity wasn't in the monetary system back then but boy is it now!  So my question today is "brother can you spare a billion?"

Right now with the war between direct response, direct sales, direct marketing and DRTV (supplying me with specific data that is current hour by hour) it appears to me that there is no real recovery to jump up and down about, I don't think I'm alone in this opinion.

The rate of response in DRTV has stayed right at the post crash levels for long form advertising (long form is 28:30 minutes), still down 30% from previous levels. Are products still being sold?  Sure, but the extra cash that people used to buy stuff with on TV isn't there and I doubt it's coming back anytime soon.  The stories of response falling off in direct response campaigns, direct sales and direct marketing provide further support the lack of a rebound and recovery in DRTV sales.

So what we all need now is a check for $1 Billion dollars for each and every person in the country, and that will fix the economy because then we will all be BILLIONAIRES!  The question is what will the money buy?

I doubt comic books will be more than $10,000 and candy more than $500.

                                            written by Brad Richdale Author
                                        story also found at Brad Richdale Book
 this story is also at: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Self-Made+Multi-Millionaire,+Direct+Marketing+Expert+Brad+Richdale...-a019582605 with video recap at www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNkNLbDzhQk and https://www.yelp.com/user_details?userid=8V_hKizQNP48NQ0g9M7_MA